Tips if you are ever pulled over by law enforcement while operating a motor vehicle:
- Put on your signal immediately, and pull over in a place that is safe for you and the officer;
- If it’s nighttime, turn on your overhead light;
- Lower all of your windows all of the way;
- Keep your hands visible and on the steering wheel;
- Do not reach for things in your car;
- Keep only your current registration in the vehicle and consider keeping it (and your license) over your visor when driving at night;
- Ask the officer’s permission to reach for your license and/or registration;
- Use respectful pronouns like “sir” or “ma’am” when addressing the officer;
- Limit your conversation to direct answers to the officer’s questions;
In general, it’s important that your vehicle is in good repair with all lights working, and that it’s properly registered and insured. Do NOT keep trash, especially open or empty beer or other alcohol containers in your vehicle.
Call Massachusetts Laborers Legal Services if you have questions after being stopped by law enforcement.